On November 11, 1919, President Wilson proclaimed the first commemoration of Armistice Day, also known as Veterans Day, to pay tribute to all the men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces. According to History.com, there are approximately 23.2 million military veterans in the United States, 7.8 million of those veterans served during the Vietnam War era (1964-1975), including Gas South’s own Sandra Hamilton, which represents 33% of all living veterans.
To honor the veterans who work at Gas South, we spoke with four employees about their service and what Veterans Day means to them. Don’t miss the opportunity to thank a veteran in your life for the sacrifices they have made for our safety.
Juawana Glass, Navy
Location of service: Mayport, Fla.; Diego Garcis, Chagos Island; Agana, Guam; Atlanta, Ga.
Length of service: 8 years
Wars: Global War on Terrorism
Job/Assignment: Religious Program Specialist (RP), also known as a Chaplain’s assistant
Medals/Citations: Junior Sailor of the Quarter, runner up for Junior Sailor of the Year, President of the Junior Sailor Association, Navy Good Conduct Service Medal (2), Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (for serving during a war time), Overseas Deployment Service Medal (for serving overseas), Humanitarian Service Medal (for continued volunteer work), 9MM Pistol and Sharpshooter Ribbon, 14MM Rifle Sharpshooter, Letter of Commendations (5)
- What does it mean to you to be a veteran? It means sacrifice! Sacrifice of your family for the dedication to your Country. I am proud to have served the time that I did – I often contemplate returning to duty. The comradery that you get in the military is irreplaceable!
LaTitia “Tish” Winbush, Army
- Rank: Specialist, E-4
- Location of service: Charlotte, N.C.
- Length of service: 6 years
- Job/Assignment: Unit Supply Specialist
- What does it mean to you to be a veteran? A veteran to me means that you have separated yourself from the rest of your peers and have done something the normal person wouldn't do for their country. It means that you are willing to give up your life for someone else's and be proud of who you have and will become.
Sandra Hamilton, Air Force
- Rank: Airman 1st Class
- Location of service: San Antonio, Texas (Kelly and Lackland Air Force Bases); Fort Collins, Colo.
- Length of service: 2.4 years
- Wars: End of Vietnam
- Job/Assignment: Intelligence Operations Specialist
- What does it mean to you to be a veteran? Pride and honor to be able to serve our country and protect our freedom.
Stephon White, Army
Rank: Specialist (SPC)
Location of service: Fort Polk, La.
Length of service: 4 years
Wars: Operation Iraqi Freedom
Job/Assignment: Administrative Specialist
Medals/Citations: National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal
- What does it mean to you to be a veteran? Simply put, it means I had the opportunity to serve and protect the greatest country on earth.
Tiara Allen, Army
Rhonda Garrett, Army
Sandra Clark, Army
Gas South will also be attending the Cobb Chamber 63rd ARMAC Military Appreciation Luncheon on November 16th. The event honors men and women in uniform, and attendees will hear from Congressman Mac Thornberry, Chairman of the House of Armed Services Committee.
Gas South offers a 2-cent per therm discount on Variable and Fixed Rate plans to military veterans and active military personnel. No deposit is required to establish service. Visit https://www.gassouth.com/residential/rate-plans.aspx and click on Military Rates for more information.
Thank you to veterans across the U.S. for their sacrifice and service!